Naan bread, like tortillas, have become a pantry staple in our home.
The soft, often garlic-laden flatbreads are just so easy to cut in half and pop in the toaster to accompany a quick Indian meal.
They also make a terrific pizza crust. They are thick enough to withstand assorted toppings and are easily baked in a toaster oven, regular oven or even the barbecue.
My recipe today is the result of trying to decide what to do with some leftover chicken one evening. I spotted some Indian curry paste in the fridge and 15 minutes later, I had an Indian-style pizza on the table.
There are many Indian curry pastes available in jars on grocery store shelves; tikka kasala and korma are just two styles. They are usually used as the foundation of sauces for different Indian dishes. But a spoonful combined with a spoonful of tomato paste makes a great sauce for these pizzas. I used shredded chicken for my protein and topped it off with grated mozzarella.
The finishing touch was a handful of cilantro leaves. So easy, fast and delicious.
1-1/2 tbsp (22 ml) tikka masala curry paste
2 tbsp (25 ml) tomato paste
2 large garlic Naan bread
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) of cooked chicken, shredded
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) grated mozzarella
1/3 cup (75 ml) torn cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 F (200 C).
2. Combine tikka masala paste and tomato paste in small bowl. Stir to combine,.
3. Spread paste mixture evenly over the two naan breads, leaving a half-inch (1.25 cm) border.
4. Divide chicken evenly over naan breads.
5. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
6. Place on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and light golden and naan bread is slightly crispy.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
For a meatless version, substitute roasted cauliflower for the chicken. If you can’t find Indian curry paste, substitute 1 tsp. (5 ml) curry powder and combine it with 3-1/2 tbsp (48 ml) of tomato paste.